Friday, July 9, 2010

Product Review: Ageless Pilates



As a Pilates Method Alliance Certified Pilates Instructor, I've literally spent hours learning about how amazing the Pilates system is as we grow older. I have worked with clients ranging in age from 9 to 70 and have seen improvements in bone density, injuries healed and prevented, and movement patterns corrected. Unfortunately, I've also seen what happens when Pilates is used without knowledge or care, either by someone trying to follow along a video that is too advanced for her or learn from a book that does not adequately explain the exercises.

Neither of these are concerns with Ageless Pilates. The book is structured in a serious of "lessons" and "workouts." Exercises are explained clearly and completely, with Anchor Points, Body Geometry and Comfort Options for each series. The introduction clearly and concisely covers what Pilates is, who it's good for and why, and where in the book to find information for issues such as Arthritis, Low Back Pain and Osteopenia.

The name "Ageless Pilates" immediately makes me think of the older crowd, who this book would be amazing for, but it is really good for anyone wanting to really learn the basics of Pilates, regardless of age (hence "ageless"). Personally, I will be giving a copy of this book to my mother, who so badly wants to learn Pilates but keeps injuring her back trying to keep up with videos. She lives too far away for me to teach her, I'm excited there is finally an option I feel confident in giving her.



No comments:

Post a Comment